Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Subway Style Sub Buns

We went skiing at Big White this Friday, it's one of the last $10 nights. Our traditionally ski supper is a homemade one and so I made these subway style sub buns. The original recipe is here. My sister in law and I really like this recipe! I have modified it a bit by using some whole wheat flour and adding some flax in place of some of the flour. I also put the recipe together a little differently.
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tsp yeast
1/2 cup honey
2 large eggs
1/3 cup butter or margarine
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups white flour(keep 1/2 cup back)
1/2 cup flax
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
2 tsp salt


1egg white
1 tsp cold water
quick oats to sprinkle with

Start by putting 1 1/2 cups warm water in a small bowl.
Sprinkle 2 teaspoons dry yeast over the top and let sit for 10 minutes, until frothy.

Melt 1/3 cup butter(or marg) and add the 1/2 cup honey(I used creamed and it was fine)
and  2 large eggs.

Once yeast is reading pour it into your liquids and mix with the dough hook.
Add in 2 cups white flour and mix.

Add in 2 cups whole wheat flour and mix.

The last cup and a half I do the following. One cup I use half flax seed and half white flour.
I keep a half a cup back and only add it if the dough sticks to the sides of the bowl. 


Add 2 teaspoons salt.

Add 1/2 cup quick cooking oats.

Knead for 5 minutes.

Put in a warm place and let rise until doubled, at least an hour, I found it takes longer.

Shape into a long log.

Cut into 8 pieces.

Shape into log buns. I know you can do WAY better than I did! :) Let rise for another hour.
Mix 1 tsp cold water and an egg white. Brush the buns with this.

Sprinkle with quick cooking oats.
Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.

Let cool on a wire rack.

Make a really yummy sandwich with your favorite fixings.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.