Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Gluten Free(or not)Sweet and Sour Pineapple Pork

I have been really enjoying using Pinterest as my idea center for menu planning! This past week when I got the Dole pineapples for $1 by Canada wide price matching at Walmart, I was happy to find a yummy stir fry recipe with which to use my pineapple! It's called Sweet and Sour Pineapple Pork,the original recipe is here. All I did was make a few changes....If you've read my blog for awhile, you may remember my husband was diagnosed with celiac disease last summer. This means no gluten..flour..etc. So, I adapted this recipe to make it gluten free. If you don't need to just use the regular flour.
This is now a family favorite! I don't usually have pineapple juice on hand. It just so happens I had bought some at Christmas time! I separated the left over juice(I had one litre to start and froze it  in 1 1/3 cup portions so that we will have it on hand so I can make this again soon!)

Pineapple Pork
1 small pork tenderloin, cut into large cubes (about 3/4 pound to 1 pound)
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup pineapple juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup Bob's all purpose gluten free flour
Olive oil, for shallow frying pork

Put the egg, pineapple, salt and flour into a bowl. Whisk combine and set aside.
Pour some olive oil in the bottom of the wok. Heat to 350. Toss pork in the coating, cook in wok in small batches until browned on both sides and cooked, about 3 minutes. Place pork on paper towel.

Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar(or honey)
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp. molasses
2 tbsp. cornstarch
Whisk to combine and set aside.

Assembly
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1 small onion cut up in slices
1 small pepper of whatever color you have, thinly slice
1 1/2 cups pineapple chunks 
Steamed rice
Add 1 Tbsp oil to wok over med heat. Once oil is hot add peppers, garlic, onion and pineapple chunks. Stir fry 2-3 minutes. Add sweet and sour sauce. Bring to a boil and cook until it starts to thicken, about 1-2 minutes. Add pork and heat through.
Serve over steamed rice.

No comments: