Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, September 24, 2012

Prune Plum Pie

First of all let me say again, I LOVE where I live. Seriously! The fruits and veggies available, blow my mind! I also want to say thank you. Our friends asked us if we would care to do some gleaning, from their full plum tree....yeah! I got some for my neighbour, my sister-in-law, as well as lots for us! I hate to see yummy food go to waste, and so my mission was to figure out how to use up plums! On my way home from picking the plums I had stopped at Shoppers and they had whipping cream with a $2 off sticker, so I needed a yummy thing that we could put whipping cream on. Heck, all we needed was a little coffee, right Ruth? My boy wanted to me make to something different, not my usual go to plum recipes. He asked if I could make pie.I didn't know, was there plum pie? So, I did what we all do, I googled it.  I found Have a Piece of Pie! I didn't want the traditional crust, so I followed her recipe for the filling and then went to the site Pick Your Own. She has the graham cracker crust with the crumble to go on top. I used the graham crust recipe I usually use. I used her recipe for the crumble on top.
The graham crust
1 1/4 cup graham crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
You can either cut the butter in with a pastry cutter, or just melt the butter and mix it in. Press the crust into a pie plate.

The filling:
6 cups plums pitted and thinly sliced
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp all spice
Mix all these ingredients together and spoon into your pie crust.

The crumble on top:
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
Same as the graham crust, you can melt the butter or cut it in. Sprinkle over fruit mixture. Bake at 425 for 35-45 minutes.




I followed the recipe's directions to bake for 45minutes to an hour. 45 minutes was already starting to burn, so I adjusted the time above.

It is sooooo yummy! But, so filling!

I decided to make a plum sauce with some of the other plums. I didn't follow a recipe. All I did was cut the plums in half, and take out the pits. I then added some sugar and a little cornstarch. Then I cooked and cooked and cooked it. It became a nice sauce, but there were still plum strings and pieces. I wanted a smooth sauce so I...... carefully!!!! spooned out the big chunkies into my blender and blended them up. Then I added them back to the pot and fished around for any other chunkies! In the end  the sauce below.


I had this lovely big glass jar to put it in! I made some overnight crepes and in the morning we will have crepes with plum sauce inside and whipping cream on top. Are you coming for breakfast?

No comments: