Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Gluten Free Corn Tortillas

I decided to try my hand at a corn tortillas. The post title is gluten free corn tortillas but it's not a modified recipe, it's just a naturally gluten free corn mix. I used Maseca instant corn masa mix and I used the recipe off the bag. I was surprised how easy it was and how nice the dough is to work with.
Corn Masa Mix
2 cups Maseca
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water
Mix thoroughly for about 2 minutes to form a sot dough. If dough feels dry add more water 1 Tbsp at a time.
Divide dough into small balls. Cover dough you aren't using with a damp cloth. Then using wax paper, or a ziploc bag cut open, press the dough. I used my cast iron frying pan as it is nice and heavy. I then put another piece of wax paper on a plate and carefully transferred the pressed tortilla but flipping it onto the wax paper, without touching it. Repeat until you have used all your dough. The recipe says it will make 16. I think I got about 12. Heat your cast iron pan up on med high. No oil is necessary. Carefully flip your tortilla into the frying pan. The directions say 50 seconds per side. I found it took a bit longer to get them browned. As they are done place on a plate and cover with a warm towel to keep them warm and soft. Serve with refried beans, cheese and tomatoes......YUM!

No comments: