Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Pumpkin Scones!

I was spending some quality time on Pinterest when I came across these yummy pumpkin scones! The original recipe is by recipe girl and is here. I thought I would post the steps here, as I like to break recipes down a bit to convince myself that there aren't too much work! She forms her's into pie shaped pieces, I did fingers as I made a triple recipe to feed a bunch of people.
                              Pumpkin Scones
                            Preheat oven to 425.
blog 037
The dry ingredients are
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt, cinnamon and nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves and ginger
Whisk all.

blog 038
Using a pastry cutter or the food processor cut in 6 Tbsp cold butter.(you can see my book ...I was reading The Postmistress!)
blog 040
The wet ingredients are
1 egg
3 Tbsp half and half(I used heavy cream substitute)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
Whisk together.
I learned from another pinterest post that you can make your own heavy cream! To make 3 Tbsp I used 2 Tbsp of milk  and 1 Tbsp of melted butter.
blog 041
Fold the wet into the dry to form a ball.
blog 045
Pat into a rectangle. Cut into the shape you desire.Use a wet or greased knife to separate them a bit.The original recipe post shows much nicer pictures!
Bake for 14-16 minutes.
blog 046
Make the first glaze with 1/2 cup icing sugar and 1 Tbsp milk. Whisk together.
blog 047
Brush the scones with the thin icing with a pastry brush. Let icing harden a bit. Just takes a few minutes.
blog 048
Meanwhile make the second icing
3/4 cup icing sugar
1-2 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
a pinch of ground cloves and ginger
Whisk together.
blog 050
Drizzle over top. Enjoy!
One recipe costs less than $3 to make.

No comments: