Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Beef Stroganoff ATK

I love slow cooker cooking.  It just feels like a night off. I LOVE this cookbook(thanks again Linda!). Not only  is it  slow cooking, but it's also America's Test Kitchen! I made this a little over a week ago and it was such a hit I went on and on about it to my sister in law. Meanwhile, I said I was going to blog it and it took me awhile to get it on here. So, here it is Lynn. Enjoy!
Normally a list of ingredients this long would have me running, but I am getting braver! Especially with America's Test Kitchen recipes as they usually always turn out, even for me! (You can click on the picture to see the recipe larger.)

So, it all started with this stewing beef. I wanted to make a tasty meal with this. The recipe called for boneless beef chuck but I decided to substitute this(I can see you smiling Leanne, I know, I'm changing it up again!).
.
1 1/2 pounds of mushrooms halved.

I learned a new way(for me) of cooking mushrooms with this recipe. 

Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a frying pan over med heat until shimmering.
Add mushrooms and 1/4 tsp salt, cover, and cook until mushrooms are softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover, then cook until mushrooms are dry and browned, 5 to 10 minutes longer transfer to slow cooker.

Cut up 3(yes, it says 3) onions!
Heat 2 tbsp oil in skillet over med high heat until shimmering. 



Add onions, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 6 garlic cloves minced(I used already minced garlic) and 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried.( I omitted the 1/2 oz porcini mushrooms as I didn't have any). Cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.

Stir in 1/3 cup of  flour and cook for 1 minute..


 Slowly whisk in 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.


Add 1/3 cup soya sauce.

2 bay leaves.

1/2 cup dry white wine(or apple juice).

Season beef with salt and pepper and nestle(doesn't that sound nice?). Cook  on low for 9-11 hours, or 5-7 on high.
Let stew settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using a spoon. Discard bay leaves. In bowl, combine 1 cup hot stew liquid with 1/3 cup sour cream and 2 tsp Dijon, then stir mixture into stew. Stir in 2 Tbsp minced fresh dill, season with salt and pepper to taste.

The house smelled fantastic all day!!!  The recipe calls for buttered egg noodles. You make these by cooking 1 lb egg noodles in salted boiling water, drain, and toss with 2 Tbsp butter. Season with salt and pepper.
We had it over rice. The picture doesn't do it justice, but it was FANTASTIC!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Not one soul will perish
who puts their trust in Me.
-Jesus