Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Books



As I have already mentioned, I love books! So this post I thought I'd start a book list. Please feel free to send me your great finds! First, a word about the library. I try not to buy too many books because: one, it is expensive and two, I don't often read them if I own them!!! There's something about having a time limit that gets me reading! That said, you who know me know I own a lot of books! I try to buy my favorites, ones that I know I'd like to read again, and ones I'd like to share, and references type books. I look for them in thrift stores, Value Village, at garage sales, or one of my favorites, library sales.


We recently moved from Alberta to British Columbia, so I can comment on these two library systems. Edmonton's library online site is fantastic. http://www.epl.ca/ What I love about it is the pictures that accompany most books. The title is on the left and on the right there is a thumbnail of the book cover. I am visual so this works for me. A yearly membership costs $12, $1/month is pretty cheap! You can't even buy one book for that price! I still use this site to "see" the books I want to request at my library. Did you know that if there is a book you'd like to read and the library does not yet own it you can request they do? I do this all the time. Then, when it comes in you get to read the brand new copy! One of the other advantages of the Edmonton library is you have access to movies! Think how much it saves you on renting! I would search through the DVD category and put holds on things we'd like to see. They would arrive sporadically and we'd have an evening's entertainment. My kids really enjoy anticipating what's waiting for them and when the library calls we are excited! We watched quite a few seasons of Little House on the Prairie in the winter months! Entire seasons of shows are available and they are commercial free!


In B.C. the library system is a little different. It costs nothing to have a library card! The website is http://www.orl.bc.ca/ , it does not have the thumbnail pictures. The library does not have movies, unless they are educational, but I've noticed lots of entire seasons of TV shows(24,The Waltons, House,Little House on the Prairie, Corner Gas, Stargate,etc.) We do not have cable, or even peasant vision(channels that come in with rabbit ears) so the library works well for us. There are endless, very entertaining, educational DVDs available at the local library. Book and CD and DVD suggestions are welcome in B.C.also and every time I see something interesting I order it! To order things just click on the Suggestions for Purchase button. To find the books ISBN and author and publisher, I use http://www.amazon.com/ .


So, after all of that intro here are some books I have found helpful.(I wish I could copy and paste from google images on this page, because I could put on the front cover pictures!)





The Tightwad gazette: Promoting thrift as a viable alternative lifestyle by Amy Dacyczyn: I don't love the title, as it sounds negative. I don't think living beneath your means should stop generosity, and I don't think the author meant this in the titling of the book.This book was very influential in helping me figure out ways to reduce our spending. It helped teach me to think creatively. There are 3 separate editions or all 3 plus a bonus edition in the complete edition. I own the Complete Edition, as well as the separate editions(several of some). I have found them at garage sales and Value Village and I enjoy being able to lend them out! It is a reference, type book that reads easily, but is very helpful to have on hand.


Uncommon Cents: Benjamin Franklin Secrets to Achieving Personal Financial Success by Lynn G. Robbins, Lisa Vermillion, and Dennis Webb is a great book, but the library doesn't have it. I do not know where I got it from, but it's a very helpful book for planning how you spend your money. I have asked the B.C. library to get it. I can't do that in AB as I no longer live there, if you are so inclined, please do!


Debt-Proof Your Marriage: How to Achieve Financial Harmony (Debt-Proof Living) by Mary Hunt. Mary Hunt's books are all great, but one of my favorite's is Debt Proof Your Marriage! She has lots of good ideas and reasons to live within one's means!


The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey. In this book he outlines the 7 steps to taking care of your finances. He also has a free podcast if you are interested. Just go to to itunes and enter his name or go to his website. http://www.daveramsey.com/


Your Money Map: A Proven 7-Step Guide to True Financial Freedom by Howard Dayton. This is another step by step guide to getting our finances in order. There are several free podcast from crown financial, again go to itunes and look under money life or go to http://www.crown.org/ .


Saving Money Any Way You Can: How to Become a Frugal Family by Mike Yorkey


Living on Less and Liking it More: How to reduce your spending and increase your living by Maxine Hancock


Living More With Less by Doris Janzen Longacre
There are lots more books to comment on and I'll add them periodically.


Options for people who don't like to read: there are many titles available on audio. Maybe, you'd rather listen to a book on your way to work or while you clean up around the house. I have done this and it is great when I have a boring day of kitchen work. Happy reading!Sue

1 comment:

Grow Mercy said...

Hey Sue, Congratulations on your blog! You have basket full’s, actually shopping carts, full of experience to share and your blog needs to be disseminated far and wide. (This from a guy who can't pass a Starbuck's without dropping a few dollars on an extra-shot Americano.) Well, I'm making more of my own coffee at home these days...so I'm learning. Fortunately I'm married to a "tracker."

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you to keep getting your thoughts and suggestions down. I do think that one day your own book would look great sitting confidently beside those beloved books of yours. It's your story that needs telling, because, Sue, you are, a steward, a social ecologist, hence and environmentalist, and more. Most of all, you have been, and are, an invaluable resource for many. So here’s to immense success!

(By the way, you should become an Amazon Associate. This allows you to paste book ads-with pics-with links into your blog, and, should someone buy a book by way of your link, you get money toward your own purchases. There you go, my own little "pricebuster" suggestion.)