Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, April 24, 2009

Tracking Spending with Envelopes












Spring!










I have found a method of tracking our spending that works well for us. I hope it might be helpful to you. I had always liked the envelope method of budgeting, but never want to have real cash around. One day the kids and I were talking about how much things cost and I suddenly thought, why not use play money!





So we got some Monopoly and Full House game money.




Then I took plain envelopes and listed all the household expenses.



In the bottom corner is the amount needed monthly.




Then I fill the envelope with the money needed.



When I come home from shopping I add up my receipts and take out the money to "pay" the total of the receipts.


The receipts goes into the envelope. At a glance you can look into the envelopes and see exactly where you are at.

3 comments:

Heather said...

What a fantastic idea - and such a simple, clear way of showing our kids more about spending/budgeting/saving. Love it.

Sue said...

Thanks Heather!

Frugal Guy said...

Hey, that's nifty. I like the tangible/visible aspect of this -- and as you said no need to have money sitting around.

My son is still too young to learn about money, but I plan to make sure he knows a lot more than I did starting out!